Painting with Image Transfers
Do you wish to integrate imagery like old photographs, graphics, drawings, or paintings into your art or craft projects? Image transfers are a beautiful option to achieve this because they are versatile and can add a uniqueness to your work like no other material can. This class will teach you about gel image transfers; how to create them, how to integrate them with other elements in your art pieces, and how to use their transparent quality to enhance your designs. You will be working on a project in class where you will learn some painting and layering techniques to compliment your chosen transfers imagery. No previous knowledge of transfers is required to join. Beginners and painters/artists with more experience are welcome. Four Wednesdays, 1.5-2 hours per class, max. 8 students (aged 16+). $100 CAD.
IN THIS CLASS YOU WILL:
• Gain knowledge on what transfers are and the benefits of using them in your projects
• Learn what images are appropriate for an image transfer artwork
• Master creating excellent quality acrylic image transfers and learn how to integrate them into your work
• Learn to choose backgrounds and work with transparent/translucent layers
• Practice how to use paints to highlight your transfers
• Follow my process in making an image transfer painting from start to finish
• Work on a piece of art integrating painted backgrounds, imagery and transfers
THIS CLASS IS FOR:
• Anyone who wants to learn about image transfers, how to create them and integrate them into their art/craft projects
• People who love imagery, whether these images are photos of animals, plants, people, places or things
• Those who wish to have they own photos, drawings or artwork turned into an image transfer
• Persons who wish to learn a new/versatile technique to add to their art practice or wish to improve their image transfers technique
* No previous knowledge of transfers is required to join the class. Beginners and painters/artists with more experience are welcome. The steps are easy to follow and information provided is clear and concise. You will gain a new skill and have fun creating!
• A smooth non-stick surface like a of glass or Plexiglass 8x10 inches or larger
• Plastic binder sleeves or kitchen trash bags (to store transfers)
• Stretched Canvas, canvas board or wood board (8x10 to 9x12 inches ideal size)
• Liquitex Regular Gloss Gel Medium OR Golden’s Soft Gel Gloss
• Polymer Matte Medium
• Assortment of Laser photocopies (you may use/print the files provided or bring your own)
• Paper to Paint On - Mixed Media or 90 lb. watercolour paper is ideal
• Acrylic Paints
• Paint Brushes (a variety of shapes and sizes would be ideal)
• Palette knife
• Tubs for water
• Plastic or covers to protect your table/work area
• Paper towels/ Rag
• OPTIONAL MATERIALS sharpies, acrylic markers, oil pastels, assortment of decorative papers, other acrylic mediums
This workshop is delivered over the Zoom software platform. Read the Zoom Workshop/Class Policies & Procedures.
If you have questions about the class or materials, please feel free contact me via my contact form on my website: http://mtmhobbes.com/contact.html
"Margarita's classes have been lots of fun. She demonstrated steps for techniques clearly, answered my questions, and provided guidance in working with art materials I had at home. The Zoom link is easy to use."
- Taryn J.